SECOND CHANCES…………..This week I shared with our confirmation students and at our staff meeting two of the most important words in the Bible. Here they are: “AND PETER”. These words occur at a very important moment in the Bible. The women have just visited the tomb of Jesus. Jesus is no longer there. An angel appears to the women and says this, “Go, tell his disciples…………AND PETER, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee.'” Why is Peter’s name kept separate from the others?
I believe that Peter was getting a second chance. Peter had just days before denied Jesus publicly three times. He had really messed things up. I am imagining Peter feeling ashamed and embarrassed. How uplifting it must have been for Peter to hear that Jesus was still including him in his plans!
This has great implications for you! God gives second, third and fourth chances. There is no sin that moves you beyond His reach. This weekend at Peace we will celebrating the Transfiguration of our Lord. Jesus was not the only one transformed on the Mount of the Transfiguration–I believe the disciples who were with him were changed as well.
Let’s be changed too this week. God loves us immensely and wants us to love immensely those who need second, third and fourth chances.
HEALING SERVICE.…………Come for Peace’s healing service this Sunday at 9 am. This is dedicated time for quiet prayer and affirmation from God Word. If you cannot make it, see the pastor or one of the elders if you have a concern or request to be lifted up in prayer.
FEED MY STARVING CHILDREN…………The event will be on May 6th and 7th in the Benton County Fairgrounds. See FMSC’s website for more information about this excellent opportunity coming our way (www.fmsc.org). What can you do now in preparation:
- COLLECT COINS……….See me if you have not received boxes to collect coins. Bring your boxes or M and M containers to church and deposit coins into the locked box on the table in the narthex.
- SAVE THE DATE……….We need you to volunteer May 6th and 7th for this community wide event. More information about this is soon to come.
- WHO COULD I INVITE………Think of someone or an organization that could take part. The momentum is building as more and more churches/schools/organizations are jumping in with their support.
- POTATO BAR…………….On Sunday, April 17th we will be having a baked potato bar at church during fellowship. Donations for FMSC will be taken.
- PRAY……….Yes, it is true. Every day, nearly 6,200 children die from hunger or hunger related causes. From God’s Word, “The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor”.